Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|RFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says -Wealth Empowerment Zone
Poinbank Exchange|RFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 22:34:28
LANSING,Poinbank Exchange Mich. (AP) — A Michigan judge ruled that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. must remain on the November presidential ballot, dealing a blow to his crusade to strategically remove his ticket from the battleground state.
Kennedy suspended his campaign and endorsed former President Donald Trump in August. Since then, he has sought to withdraw his name in states — like Michigan — where the race could be close. At the same time, he is trying to remain on the ballot in states where he is unlikely to make a difference between Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris.
Kennedy filed a lawsuit Friday in Michigan’s Court of Claims against Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson in an effort to withdraw his name. Michigan’s election officials had previously rejected Kennedy’s notice of withdrawal.
The Associated Press asked the secretary’s office for comment on the Court of Claims order that came down Tuesday.
In a post on X earlier in the day, Benson said under Michigan law, candidates who are nominated and accept a minor party’s nomination “shall not be permitted to withdraw.”
Kennedy argued in the lawsuit that his notice of withdrawal was timely and the electorate’s votes could be “diminished and rendered invalid” if he remains on the ballot. He filed a similar lawsuit in North Carolina on Friday, where he is trying to withdraw his name from the ballot.
Michigan Court of Claims Judge Christopher P. Yates concluded that the secretary of state rightly rejected Kennedy’s request to be removed from the ballot.
“Elections are not just games, and the Secretary of State (SOS) is not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for public office,” Yates said in his opinion and order.
The Associated Press requested a comment from Kennedy’s attorneys Tuesday.
Wisconsin election officials said last week that Kennedy must remain on the ballot there, rejecting his request request to withdraw.
Last week, a different Michigan Court of Claims judge ruled that liberal independent candidate for president Cornel West must remain on the ballot, an opinion welcomed by West’s campaign.
Kennedy and West, prominent third-party candidates, are at the center of multiple legal and political battles across the country as Democrats and Republicans seek to use the impacts of third-party candidates who could take support from their opponents. Republicans allies in multiple battleground states such as Arizona and Michigan have sought to keep West on the ballot amid Democratic fears he could siphon votes from Vice President Kamala Harris.
veryGood! (11739)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Isla Fisher Seen Filming New Bridget Jones Movie Months After Announcing Sacha Baron Cohen Split
- Diaper maker will spend $418 million to expand its Georgia factory, hiring 600
- New Zealand man filmed trying to body slam killer whale in shocking and stupid incident
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- ‘Heat dome’ leads to sweltering temperatures in Mexico, Central America and US South
- Justice Department sues Live Nation and Ticketmaster for monopolizing concert industry
- Dogs help detect nearly 6 tons of meth hidden inside squash shipment in California
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Political consultant behind fake Biden robocalls faces $6 million fine and criminal charges
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Seinfeld's Michael Richards Shares Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
- Live Nation, Ticketmaster face antitrust lawsuit from DOJ. Will ticket prices finally drop?
- White House state dinner features stunning DC views, knockout menu and celebrity star power
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Charles Barkley says WNBA players are being 'petty' over attention paid to Caitlin Clark
- Isla Fisher Seen Filming New Bridget Jones Movie Months After Announcing Sacha Baron Cohen Split
- Closed casino hotels in Mississippi could house unaccompanied migrant children
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Court overturns suspension of Alex Jones’ lawyer in Sandy Hook case that led to $1.4B judgment
Save 20% on This Tatcha Moisturizer I’ve Used Since Kathy Hilton Sprayed It on Real Housewives
Boxer Ryan Garcia faces possible suspension from New York State Athletic Commission after positive test
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
Zendaya and Tom Holland Hold Hands on Rare Date After His Romeo and Juliet Debut in London
Ex Baltimore top-prosecutor Marilyn Mosby sentencing hearing for perjury, fraud begins